Why BC Casinos Use Hospitality Consulting ServicesSeptember 19, 2023
How Liquor License Consultants Help Bars Find the Best EmployeesSeptember 30, 2023
In late July 2023, BC Liquor & Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRB) announced changes to licensing, compliance and enforcement hearing rules. The update was announced in “Bulletin 23-07: Updates to Hearing Rules” and applies to all BC liquor and cannabis licensees and applicants.
There are three types of LCRB hearings: licensing, compliance and enforcement.
Updated hearing rules highlights:
- New hearing rules and procedures
- A written process will continue to be used for license, permit and authorization application hearings
- The decision-maker will normally conduct hearings in writing unless an oral hearing is necessary.
- Oral hearings will normally take place by video conference
- Both licensing and compliance hearings are “show-cause” hearings. In a show-cause hearing there is no cross-examination of the respondent
View the updated LCRB Hearing Rules (PDF). For detailed information on the two different types of hearing formats, see the following sections of the PDF:
- Licensing and Compliance Hearings: PART A
- Enforcement Hearings: PART B
For a short primer on LCRB liquor and cannabis licensee compliance and enforcement, read the Thrive Liquor & Cannabis Advisors article “How Does LCRB Compliance & Enforcement Work?”. Learn about the steps of LCRB compliance and enforcement: inspection, notification of inspection, resolution, enforcement actions and enforcement hearings.
Avoid LCRB Hearings with Thrive Compliance Audits & Training
You can avoid an LCRB hearing by enforcement-proofing your business. How? Thrive Liquor & Cannabis Advisors provides compliance audits and training that will safeguard your license and save you from the pain, cost and time of compliance missteps.