On December 22/21, in response to the COVID-19 Omicron variant surge, BC Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, issued a public health order closing businesses that are licensed to serve liquor (bars, lounges and nightclubs) that don’t have full meal service. As per the order, full meal service “includes food provided by a caterer to the premises, or available from a food truck located beside or on the premises, but does not include snacks, appetizers or tapas on their own.” The order is effective from December 22/21 – January 18/22 but could be extended.
Highlights of the Order
- Bars, lounges, and nightclubs must close if they don’t offer full meal service
- Indoor and outdoor dining is allowed if physical distancing measures are in place
- Maximum of 6 people per table
- Customers must remain seated at an assigned table, booth or counter, and can’t move between seating or visit others
- Liquor may only be served to seated patrons, except in the case of private clubs or tasting rooms with a manufacturer’s license
- Patrons must remain seated except to use self-serve food and drink stations, to use self-serve lottery ticket dispensers, pay at a pay station, use the washroom, aid another person who requires care or first aid, or when leaving the premises; when playing pool, billiards, darts, or bowling with a maximum of 5 other people in the same party who were seated at the same table
- No dancing
- Normal liquor service hours apply
- Patrons are required to wear masks when not seated at a table
- Establishments must scan proof-of-vaccination QR codes for entry
- Operators must take steps to prevent patrons from congregating outside the premises
View the public health order online or download the order PDF.
Covid-19 Closure Relief Grant Now Available
Businesses forced to close by this order from the PHO can apply for a the BC Closure Relief Grant. Grants of between $1,000 and $10,000 are available depending on number of employees.
Is Your BC Liquor or Cannabis Business Compliant with Public Health Officer Orders?
Thrive Liquor & Cannabis Advisors can help ensure that your BC liquor or cannabis business is compliant with current BC Public Health Officer orders. If you need clarity, guidance and implementation of restrictions, Thrive makes it easier than you think.
Book a Free 30-Minute Consultation Today!